Heritage Gateways

Official Sesquicentennial K-12 Education Project
sponsored by the Utah State Board of Education, the BYU-Public School Partnership and the Utah Education Network

Pioneer 1848-1868 Companies

Previous | Next

1864: Reception of Captain Hyde's late Company

The last of this season's emigration has arrived, mostly in good health and fine spirits. Capt. Wm. Hyde's train, which reached the public square on the afternoon of the 26th ult. was unusually well provided for by the donations of the people through their bishops. Early on that day brother Jesse C. Little, one of Bishop Hunter's counselors, Bishop John Sharp, together with those appointed at the regular Bishop's meeting, viz. William A. McMaster of the 11th ward, Samuel Turnbow and Martin Lenzi of the 14th Ward, Father Booth of the Tenth Ward and Brother Leach of the 2nd Ward, got some tents from the general tithing store and put them upon the 8th Ward square preparatory to the reception of the company.

Immediately on the arrival of the train, the brethren and sisters came forward with soup, beef, potatoes, pies, tea, sugar and coffee to supply the wants of those who had just come in from their long and tedious journey across the plains. The above named brethren saw to the distribution of the food among the passengers. They also provided for the sick, and had them comparatively comfortable in the 8th Ward School House. Sister Sluce was on hand to wait upon the sisters, several of whom were in a delicate state of health.

Dr. Hovey was called in to give medical advice and to administer such remedial agents as could be best applied, and from the arrival of the train to the time that all found places to go, the best that could be done was done, to alleviate suffering, to comfort, to bless and render happy the poor of God's chosen people, and in this none seemed remiss in their duty to God and their brethren and sisters.

It has always been customary for the Saints to assist the incoming immigration, but this season has seemed to call for an extra and additional effort because of the lateness of the season before the last two companies got in. This call for assistance, therefore, was made upon every ward in the city and to their praise be it spoken, every ward and almost every family freely responded to the bishop's call. The same arrangement was made for the benefit of the next and last train of this season's emigration. The same committee was appointed to wait upon Warren S. Snow's train that waited upon Capt. Hyde's, with the additional assistance of Bro. Mark Lindsay.

Capt. Hyde's company were not all distributed among their friends when the snow storm came over our city on Saturday evening, but the energetic movements of the committee were equal to the task and their vigilant efforts and indefatigable labors removed all from the Public Square and placed them comfortably in the 7th Ward schoolhouse early on Sunday morning.

Several of the city bishops did not rest satisfied with stimulating their wards to good works, but came forward in person and rendered a helping hand, doing all in their power for the benefit, comfort and relief of the company.

Of our city merchants who rendered efficient aid, it is our duty to speak. Among the foremost of these, the committee informs us, was William Jennings who not only donated very liberally in groceries, but also offered the use of the upper room of his warehouse for the benefit of the sick in Capt. Hyde's company and for that purpose had it cleared out and made ready for their reception. Bro. W. S. Godbe, Messrs. Kimball and Lawrence were likewise very kind in donating for the benefit and comfort of the poor who came in that train. Others were equally kind, but we have been unable to get their names.

A friend, not a member of the Church, having a blacksmith's shop on the southeast corner of the Public Square, has been reported to have been exceedingly kind in his endeavors to assist in alleviating the suffering of the poor and afflicted in the camp. For this he will receive his reward. He willingly gave his whole premises to be used by the commissary department, of which Bro. Wm. A. McMaster had charge, by the appointment of the presidency of the bishopric of the Church.

The preparations for the reception of Capt. Snow's train were as energetic and benevolent in character as those made for Capt. Hyde's; the brethren and sisters evincing as much willingness to contribute to the assistance of this company as they did when called upon to donate to the former company. The train was rather late in coming into town on Wednesday evening, in consequence first of the train being very large, numbering about 70 wagons, and secondly owing to the snow, which had fallen in Parley's Kanyon, having rendered the roads very muddy and hence very difficult to pass over.

We were happy to learn that there were but few cases of sickness among the Saints, and our own observation on that evening, as also on Thursday, resulted in the impression that this large company was generally rugged and healthy looking. The few that were sick were immediately seen to and properly cared for by the brethren and sisters who had been appointed for that purpose. On the arrival of the train we were highly gratified to see that in a few minutes, hot soup and a liberal - and we might add a bounteous supply of the good things of life - began to pass around, and this continued until all were abundantly satisfied. We had heard reports of the company lacking food on the road, but are pleased to learn from Elder Joseph W. Young that there was no such thing as starvation or want known among them. From the time the train crossed the Weber River, 8 pounds of flour, 2 lbs. of bacon and 1 lb. of beans were given out to each adult. We think great credit is due Bishop Hunter and his assistants for the promptness and energy with which they have carried out the wishes of our president in providing food and homes for these large companies of Saints.

Source: Our Pioneer Heritage © Carter, Kate B., ed. 20 vols. Salt Lake City: International Society, Daughters of Utah Pioneers, 1958-1977. All rights reserved. No part of this material may be reproduced in any form or by any means without permission in writing from the publisher. Documents and images are exerpted by permission from the LDS Family History Suite CDROM from Ancestry.