Heritage Gateways

Official Sesquicentennial K-12 Education Project
sponsored by the Utah State Board of Education, the BYU-Public School Partnership and the Utah Education Network

Wendy Westergard Journals

July 3, 1997

Location: Farson, Wyoming

Summary: Street dancing. Report on Bre's condition.

Journal entry: Today is another rest day in Farson. I slept until 8 am. I got up and called friends and home. It was really fun to call home and friends. Most of them I hadn't talked to for a very long time, some of them I hadn't even talked to on the trek yet. It has been so much easier to call them when I find a phone than to sit down and write a letter. I have only sent one postcard on the trek so far. I wish I could've written a letter, but I haven't had time.

We got to ride the hofflingers for around a half an hour. We went through streams and grass. It was fun. We were bareback. Sarah rode behind me. She is around 10 years old. It made things interesting because in order for her to see she had to lean around me. I was riding bareback so I tried to keep my balance. She was the noisiest one of the group. Every time we trotted she was what sounds like loud humming, which sounds like like-hhhahhhahhhhahha.

After that she would giggle. My favorite things was splashing in the river. My feet and the bottom of my dress got soaked, but it was a dream come true.

We went into Rock Springs once again to do our catch up chores of laundry, supplies and a SHOWER!!! I also got to visit Bre, who is out of ICU and is doing well. She looks SO much better, like a new woman.- compared to before. Jane Anderson got a motel and we all piled and took showers. It took a while but it was worth it. I felt clean once again. My clothes are now clean and not filled with endless amount of dust.

When we returned that evening I discovered in my tent a care package for my parents. It was filled with goodies!!! Brownies- my favorite. It was heavenly. Thank heavens for wonderful mothers, what would we do without them.

We had a street dance. Actually it was a local thing, we just joined in. It was the funnest dance of the trek. Marin and a bunch of other people were there the whole time. It was great. We stayed until the dance ended which was at 12 midnight. That wasn't the most brillant of ideas considering how early we had to get up the next day, but it was fun. All the young people were participating.