Heritage Gateways

Official Sesquicentennial K-12 Education Project
sponsored by the Utah State Board of Education, the BYU-Public School Partnership and the Utah Education Network

Brent C (B.C.) Moore Journals

July 7, 1997

Location: Granger, Wyoming - Between Green River Crossing and Miller Station.

Summary: Green River crossing to Granger -- hot, dry, ready to die

Journal entry: I am ready to go home. I already have it figured out. All I have to do is get a ride with one of the many people headed back to Salt Lake. That takes about two hours. From Salt Lake, I know the UTA bus system well enough to get a bus back to Provo. That takes about 2 hours and $1.50. My car is waiting there, and I can drive back to Arizona in a little over 10 hours. So, if I leave now, I can be home in about 14 hours.

I feel worn down. The heat and dust and walking are really getting old, fast. If I were a pioneer 150 years ago I am not sure what I would have done at this point. I might have given up and died. I might have gotten sick and been useless baggage for the rest of the company. But maybe I would have resolved to be strong and make it through. Amy is very weary. After lunch today, she couldn't go any further. With tears in her eyes, she got in someone's vehicle and got a ride into camp.

Today's journey was over 23 miles in parched desert. Even the sagebrush was sparse. When we got to our lunch site, we were shocked to find that they had run out of lunches after the wagon people had eaten. It would be another 1 to 2 hours before they could make more lunches and deliver them. So, we shared what we had with those who didn't have. Teamsters pooled their leftover sandwiches, bananas, and drinks to share with the walkers who were empty-handed. In my opinion, the empty-handed people ended up having a feast. What a great example of sharing with those in need. It is a great example of a Zion people.

I was determined to go home almost all day. I think my incessant talking about it contributed to Amy's despair. When she got a ride into camp, I had a change of attitude, and somehow I regained my strength. From that point on, I was not only able to walk, but also to pull the handcart the rest of the way. We began to sing hymns to cheer our hearts. We finally arrived to the mosquito-infested creek bed where we have made our camp after 6 PM. We are all exhausted. All is well.