Pioneer 1847 Companies
Previous | Next
"PIONEER" (Vanguard) COMPANY STATISTICS
- The first company of pioneers consisted of 143 men, 3 women,
and 2 children.
- The oldest of the women, Harriet Wheeler Page Decker Young,
age 44, was the wife of Lorenzo Young, Brigham's youngest brother.
She arrived 8 month's pregnant. She was the mother of Clarissa
Decker Young, Brigham's wife, who also came. Clarissa turned 19
on July 22nd. Harriet was the mother and step-mother of the two
six-year old boys, Isaac Perry Decker, and Lorenzo Sobieski Young.
- Ellen Sanders Kimball, born in Norway, was Heber Kimball's wife.
She arrived 2 months pregnant.
- Each man was hand-picked for his skills. The mean age was 32.4
- Three of the men were less than 18 years of age. Brigham Young
- Five of the men were non-Mormons, four of whom were chosen for
Orson Pratt's advance group..
- Three of the men were African-Americans, all of whom were included
in Orson Pratt's 43- man advance group.
- Two-thirds had been born in the northeastern United States.
- Three-fourths died in Utah.
- The average age at death was 68.4 years.
- Animals included: 66 oxen, 89 horses, 52 mules, 19 cows, and
- Total estimated cost of the company's inventory of food and