Heritage Gateways

Official Sesquicentennial K-12 Education Project
sponsored by the Utah State Board of Education, the BYU-Public School Partnership and the Utah Education Network

Pioneer Date Summary

Previous | Next

04/13/1847 - Crockett

Location: Fremont, Nebraska - Location: 41:26:00N 96:29:52W Elevation: 1195 feet

Date: April 13, 1847

Elkhorn River, Nebraska:
The pioneers spent the day setting up three blacksmith forges. The blacksmiths were James Davenport, Thomas Tanner, and Burr Frost. Clara Decker Young washed and Harriet Young cleaned her wagon. Howard Egan spent the day fixing Heber C. Kimball's wagon. Charles Harper put two new axeltrees on it. The men who were sent to scout the road ahead returned in the evening and reported that the road ahead was bad. They would not be able to travel on it if more rain fell. Stephen Markham called the pioneer camp together to give some instructions about obeying counsel and following the first principles of the gospel. He spoke about the purpose of life and the premortal world of spirits. He testified that they had chosen to come to the earth during this dispensation to a choice linage. Charles Harper felt that the sermon wasn't very edifying to the men. After the preaching, Brother Markham assigned the night guard. The camp said their prayers and retired to their beds.

Winter Quarters, Nebraska:
Wilford Woodruff was very busy painting a wagon that he planned to sell. He obtained another horse to take on the pioneer journey. The Twelve were very busy trying to find additional teams.

Willard Richards wrote a letter to the Nauvoo Trustees. He gave some direct counsel regarding the question if the temple should be sold for a very low price. "Has the Lord turned bankrupt? or are his children so needy that they are obliged to sell their Father's house for a morsel of bread?" Besides, if the temple was sold, the money would be saught by those filing unjust lawsuits. "We wish you were here ready to go with us to a place of peace and safety, and then we would all be ready to do each other good, and in a situation to roll on the great cause of Zion." Then, speaking of the desereted city of Nauvoo, "And if we get no other reward for past labors, we have left monuments which will memorialize the diligence of the Saints forever -- a greater glory than safes of gold."

Heber C. Kimball asked Appleton M. Harmon to go with the pioneers to drive an ox team for him. Brother Harmon consulted with his father, quickly situated his family, and left Winter Quarters with Addison Everett, Norton Jacob, and Roswell Stephens. They left in the afternoon, traveled four miles, and camped in a hollow for the night.

William Clayton visited with Brigham Young and Heber C. Kimball in the Winter Quarters store and told them about his worries that Hosea Stout was plotting to take his life after the Twelve left.

At about 5 p.m., Thomas Bullock and George D. Grant left Winter Quarters with Willard Richard's extra teams. They crossed over Turkey Creek by the mill, went through the woods, and camped on the prairie at some crossroads.

At about sunset, John Taylor returned from his mission to England and arrived back in Winter Quarters. He brought with him two sextants, two barometers, two artificial horizons, one circle of reflection, several thermometers and a telescope. The instruments were packed up to be taken by the pioneers. Elder Taylor and Parley P. Pratt gave a report of their mission. The brethren expressed joy and satisfaction on hearing the good report regarding the state of the Church in England.

As he retired for the night, Wilford Woodruff wrote: "I spent the remainder of the night at home, the last night I shall spend at Winter Quarters for a long time."

Summer Quarters, Nebraska:
Alfred D. Young brought in a nice turkey from his morning hunt. John D. Lee broke two plows. One of them was sent back to Winter Quarters for repairs, the other was fixed and he plowed a field for some early potatoes and garden seed. A large herd of cattle was driven through the new settlement, on the way to Winter Quarters. They were driven by Brother Farr, Blozard, Allen, Merchants and others. John D. Lee sent Brother T. Johnson to the upper herd for his cattle. They were located about 25-30 miles up the river.

Mormon Battalion, at Los Angeles, California:
During the afternoon, the small detachment left at San Luis Rey arrived as ordered.

Company B, Mormon Battalion, at San Diego, California:
The Sailors from the ships continued to get into trouble. One was put into stocks for being drunk and showing insubordination. Another was marched back to his ship and put under guard.

Louisville, Kentucky:
Luman Shurtliff arrived at Louisville and collected all of the goods that he had left there. He was feeling very sick and had pains in his stomach. Even medicine made him feel worse.


  • Watson, ed., Manuscript History of Brigham Young, 547
  • Wilford Woodruff's Journal, 3:148
  • Erastus Snow Journal Excerpts, Improvement Era 14:817
  • Diary of Lorenzo Dow Young, 14:155
  • Appleton Milo Harmon Goes West, 15
  • William Clayton's Journal, 74
  • Kelly, ed., Journals of John D. Lee, 1846-1847 and 1859, 149
  • Luman Shurtliff Autobiography, typescript, BYU-S, p.73
  • Diary of Howard Egan, Pioneering the West, 22
  • Charles Harper Diary, 15
  • Our Pioneer Heritage, Vol. 8, p.243
  • Nibley, Exodus to Greatness, 359-60
  • Journal of Henry Standage in Frank Alfred Golder, The March of the Mormon Battalion, 217
  • The Journal of Robert S. Bliss, Utah Historical Quarterly, 4:91
Source: 150 Years Ago Today ©These materials have been created by David R. Crockett. Copies of these materials may be reproduced for teacher and classroom use. When distributing these materials, credit must be given to David R. Crockett. These materials may not be published, in whole or part, or in any other format, without the written permission of Mr. Crockett, Tucson Az, crockett@goodnet.com.